The unit provides high quality comprehensive cardio pulmonary rehabilitation service to both in-patients and outpatients.
The rehabilitation team led by the programme director, consists of cardiologist, cardiac surgeon, pulmonologist, physiotherapist, dietitian, physician, yoga therapist and psychologist. The team has expertise in offering balanced comprehensive treatment to patients during their recovery after being treated. This includes in-house rehabilitation, early post-discharge rehabilitation and referrals for third stage rehabilitation from consulting physician, pulmonologist, surgeon, family physician.
Beneficial in cases of:
- Cardiovascular and pulmonary disease
- Post cardiac events like myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Congestive heart failure
- Post procedures like angioplasty or heart surgery
- Arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm)
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Unit aims to:
- Increase functional capacity
- Reduce risk factors
- Improve quality of life in terms of cardiovascular fitness
- Improve outlook and emotional stability
- Increase knowledge about the disease and
- Encourage self-management
The Cardiac Rehab Programme includes:
- Exercise – varying from structured and monitored program to a more independent and less monitored programme
- Diet instruction – individual counselling or group classes
- Educational classes on lifestyle changes and disease management
- Emotional support – peer support for individuals and group
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation helps in:
- Restoring the patient to be active and self-reliant in daily life
- Restoring formal work activities
- Preparing the patient for full time employment compatible with working capacities
The unit also offers Domiciliary Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation facility.
- Depending on the need, the course runs for 3, 9 or 18 days.
- Periodic walking tests lasting 6 to 16 minutes help evaluate functional ability and capacity.
- Assessment by physiotherapist, dietitian and physician is also done periodically.
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Unit at BMB
Open between 8am and 8pm and is fitted with all necessary equipment
Increases cardiovascular endurance
Reduces fat and improves flexibility of the body
Tones up muscles and increases strength
Improves muscle strength in the lower part of the body
Increases the strength of lower extremity muscles
Improves balance, coordination and some neurological conditions